Need Translation?

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Minestrone

    I make this almost every week-end. I don't remember who taught me how to make this. It could've of been my neighbor , Katia, in Rome (she taught me lots of dishes) or Lina my mother-in-law, or my husband or I just learned by osmosis when I lived in Italy. Anyway, it's easy:
*chop up lots of onions, carrots & celery saute' ( yes, my bff, I said saute') in a large pot. I use a pressure cooker.( I brought it with me from Italy, use it for almost everything)
* then chop up any other veggies you have in the fridge or freezer
   *some of my favorites are broccoli, peas, mushrooms, zucchini, cauliflower, etc, etc., ect..(DO NOT FORGET THE GARLIC)
 * add a can diced tomatoes, some tomato paste, a can or two of beans (I have to have chick peas or "cecci" in mine) just mix and match, oh yeah and a couple handfuls of small dry lentils.
* fill with water till about an inch or two above veggies.
* add salt & pepper
* cover bring to a boil then turn down and simmer for an hour or two.
* you can add some pasta or rice about 20 minutes before the end cooking time.
* when it has cooled down, drizzle(big time) with extra virgin olive oil (get the good stuff, never skimp on the evoo) on top
* serve with grated parmiggiano or pecorino romano cheese, and some warm bread,
 mmmmmm is it dinner time yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...