Need Translation?

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Sunday in Sicily



The Ferry to Sicily
          Sunday we decided to cross the channel into Sicily. Sicily is right across the channel from Reggio di Calabria. We look at it everyday, at night it's all lite up and sparkly.  I haven't done a lot of sightseeing there, so off we went. We caught a ferry across. They go back and forth all day and night, since that's the only way to get there, except by plane. They've been talking about  building a bridge for years, it's very controversial here.(Best not to bring it up) The ferry take everything cars, trucks, people, and they even have a special ferry that takes the train cars!
           
All Aboard! Andiamo!


Once off the ferry, we headed south towards Etna, the live volcano. We can see the very top of it from our place so we wanted to get a little closer to check it out. Well, to our surprise Etna was alive and well. We got there just in time to see her shooting off ash and smoke 7 kilometers high! Wow! You don't wanna mess with her!
Mount Etna Blowin off some steam


Candied marzipan fruit display


We took that photo from the highway about halfway there. We kept going. We stopped in a small town in the hills on the way up. It was raining down tiny specks of ash.We stopped in a cafe for a cannoli, Sicily is known for making the best. (They were pretty damn good!) I also took a pic of the marzipan fruit and Easter display they had, it was beautiful. Out in the piazza I wrote my name in the ash.

Suzy b

Cannoli

 We went up as far as we could on that side of the mountain. The road was closed at a certain point, too much snow ahead! Huh? (Do they know I'm from the mid-west?) By then Etna had settled down. We stopped and took some pics on the lava rocks. Then we headed back down the mountain to Catania. The "Milan" of Sicily. A beautiful city. We walked around for a couple of hours, had some lunch, and took lots of pics.
The Duomo di Catania
By the time we left Catania, Etna had settled down.
Mt. Etna

        

    Heading back to Messina to catch the ferry, we decided to stop in a little town above Taormina, called Castelmola. It was a gem on top of this hill over looking the channel. So cute!
Small cafe in the piazza

Small store front with goods out front.

Cobblestone walk-ways and stairs
Sicilian puppet


Sleep tight Etna

Arrivaderci Sicilia!
Looking back on Sicily as we head back on the ferry to the mainland. We caught it just in the nick of time! What an awesome day! Thanks to our friends Catarina for planning the route and Fortunato for his expert driving.


8 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post. My family is from Sicily and my parents have been there and met family. Someday I hope to visit and you post made me want to go even more!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy, I hope you do go one day. You'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi SuzyB!
    I'm Anita B, also from the midwest but just south of Chicago. I am italian my father was first born in his family in the USA. His family is from Calabria and many relatives are still living there. I stumbled upon your blog and love it! Thanks for sharing. Your pics and stories make me want to come experience it too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Anita B. I'm so glad you're enjoying the blog. Calabria is a beautiful place! One day you should go visit your relatives there, you would love it. Una Buona Pasqua a te e tutta la tua famiglia!

      Delete
  4. SUZYYYYYYYYYYYYY HAIIIIIIIIIIII :) :) :) : ) :) IT'S YOUR FAVORITE NEICE! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Leila! How are you, thanks for checking out my blog! I hope to come and visit you in D.C. very soon, so I can write about it on my blog! I miss you....<3 Say hi to your Mom & Dad.

      Delete

Please leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...